Partners H.R. McCracken (a commission agent) and T.J. Press (a grocer) converted their backyard jam and fruit preserving operation into a larger concern with the financial backing of Frederick John Cato (of grocery chain Moran & Cato). Beginning with a small factory in Flinders Street, Melbourne, Rosella Preserving Company opened its Richmond factory in 1905. Tomato sauce was first produced in 1899. The Adelaide Mail reported in 1931 that the company had more than 1000 employees. When Rosella was sold to Unilever in 1963 there were six factories. After changing hands twice more, the company was closed down in March 2013.